Old 08-09-13, 02:14 AM
Long Tom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do find that situational awareness on my end helps immensely. Hey, I'm just a dude, playing a dude, on a bike... grin... I try to do my part to help out the poor bastids in their cars, too. They've got a tough row to hoe, what with a big gas engine, a brake pedal and all. It's a lot to ask of someone to move their toe over 3 inches and press a pedal. God forbid.

Anyway...... in practice that means trying to see chokepoints coming and try to avoid them-- even if it means me slowing down. I rode 42 miles this evening and did it twice. Once on a blind corner for the car coming up behind me; rather than let HIM decide whether or not to risk both our lives, I just pulled onto a driveway apron halfway through the corner and let the situation resolve. Second time was at dusk; car coming from behind at ~45 mph; two women walking dogs on the shoulder on my side of the road, IE walking against traffic, and all of us more or less scheduled to meet up if I maintained my speed. So, fuggit, slowed down, let the car pass, got to say hi to the old bitty's and one had the.... chutzpah.... to check if I had a back red light (I do).

But all that said, I'm routinely stunned at what idiots "we" are as a society of drivers. People are just stupid in their cars.