View Single Post
Old 08-09-13, 05:15 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
No brother. Don't consider this. If you want to learn about gearing...learn some basic math skills how to calculate gear inches...will help with determining what gears you need. The 'vast' majority of the cycling public will never need more than 50-11...ever. I ride 50-12 for example and never need more. So don't even consider a 52 or 53t unless you have an 11t rear cog and if you do, I would have to ask you why this gearing isn't enough. If not enough, work on your pedal stroke and cadence.
For most, 50-34 even isn't the most pleasant gearing. A 16 tooth difference is a lot and a big hole in gearing for the average guy...especially for flat riding. So if you need the 34t climbing chainring in front....I prefer a 36 or 38 to get more use out of the small ring, then stick with the 50t. A 18t difference in front would be even more awful.
I hope that makes sense. If you do some basic gear inch calculations, you get more bang for buck changing cassette gearing then you do chainrings in front.
Last issue is chainrings for Ultegra which I don't think you need unless you change the small ring. The big ring is hollow and what gives Ultegra and DA its special shift quality. It is very stiff. It is therefore a proprietary ring. I suppose its possible to put a single thickness outer ring on there with proper spacing but it would also destroy the aesthetic. Now for the inner ring, you are in luck. Many change the inner ring on Ultegra and DA. Both are a single thickness standard ring...Ultegra has a 110 BCD.
HTH.