Cyclist0094
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psee
Hmm. Ok.

I've seen some different nozzles for the Rothenberger MAPP torch i originally posted. So maybe one of those with a nozzle that gives a tighter flame and then stock up on MAPP bottles is the way to go?

The oxygen bottles were kind of expensive to that kit so if i will have to replace them twice an hour there's no point in building the frame myself to save money. Haha.
I had one Mapp torch that came with a smaller tip and it was useless for anything other that small parts such as cable stops and bottle bosses. YMMV.

Something I was not aware of (My last frame was in 2007)and just found out a few minutes ago on WIKI:

On April 30, 2008, the Petromont Varennes plant closed its methylacetylene/propadiene plant.[2] They were the only North American plant making MAPP gas, and the only legal supplier of trademarked MAPP gas in the world. This caused a widescale shortage, and many substitutes were introduced by the companies [citation needed] who had repackaged the Dow and Varennes product(s). Most of these substitutes were propylene, like MAP//Pro [3] from BernzOmatic. Some were mixtures with higher hydrocarbons or with other ingredients like acetone [citation needed]. None get anywhere near as hot as actual MAPP gas when burned using air.

Considering Mapp was just adequate in a hobby torch. Anything lower than Mapp's maximum temperature will be totally useless for fillet brazing and thicker frame parts such as fork crowns and drop-outs.

It would be a good idea to confirm whether actual Mapp Gas is still be available on your side of the pond.