Old 08-09-13, 10:44 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Pete,

How are you going to mount the battery in the frame down low? Most people use frame bags to go inside the frame. You could use a “bottle battery” but every one of those I have seen is 1C or less, meaning that a 36v10ah battery struggles to put out 10 amps of power. 10 amps isn’t nearly enough (and is going to give you a very short battery life).
On my E road bike I have 32mm tires (gatorskin) on the motor. It’s pretty snug with calipers – I have to back off all of the adjustments to get the wheel off. It’s happy at 80-90 PSI, so that is better than running a 120psi 23mm tire.

My dilemma was what bike to build – 26” wheel or 700c/29” wheel. So I built both. The second motor was only $79 with no shipping cost (that is huge), and I had that built into a wheel locally. The motor and the throttle/PAS are the only things that need to be mounted to the bike so building a second ebike (sharing the battery) wasn’t very expensive.

Check out my bike builds for some more ideas and thoughts (a mountain bike and a road bike):

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...highlight=q100