View Single Post
Old 08-09-13, 12:41 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and the great outpouring of 3-speed bicycles from the American manufacturers would certainly bear that out.

IMO, the Chicago Schwinn products are, in many respects, right up there with the Nottingham Raleigh products of pre-10 Speed bicycledom.

I have quite a few Schwinns now - along with quite a few Raleighs - and I have this idea of re-purposing the rusty rims and handlebars ans stems on the near-basket case bikes that will be resurrected as "beach beaters"...

Anyway, to those who care to offer advice, what I'd like to ask is whether any of the commonly available "rust remedy" paints can be applied successfully directly over the rusty parts?

[IOW, stuff like "Rustoleum" etc.]

Obviously, the final result will be sorta funky but I just can't see parting out some of these bikes just for the SA hub alone...

Here's the latest 3-speed I picked up; the drop bars are coming off and some reasonably decent "swallow" style bars are going on there. This bike can be brought back to something pretty decent so it is NOT the kind of bike of which I am speaking above... What I wanted to ask about it is how to get the bad dent out of the rear fender if that's possible. The chrome appears to be in good shape...