View Single Post
Old 08-09-13, 01:35 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
But it's got a taillight, 25c tires, a comfy (not sexy) brown seat, comfy SPD pedals that clip to comfy Izumi XAlp shoes, and, uh, well, I ride it to work regularly...
Yeah, about that Element.

I've been struggling about what standards a bike should be judged by in the commuting forum when such a wide variety of bikes can be used for commuting. At first glance that bike looks hot (especially with the contrasting red cable housing), but it's confused about it's true purpose in life which is not Hot.

I've decided for now that a bike should be evaluated for what it is and deduct points if the owner is trying to make it something else. I may change my mind tomorrow because all my bikes are more like the latter.

Give that, here's my assessment:

I noticed those spd training pedals you've got on there. SPD on one side and a slippery platform on the other I presume? Wishy-washiness is not hot. If you're going to go clipless on a road bike, it better be all the way. SPDs? Wrong Wrong Wrong. Half SPD, half platform? Even wronger than my grammar and my spelling.

If you ride a CF road bike and aren't walking like a penguin, something ain't right. Penguins are hot.

Last edited by tjspiel; 08-09-13 at 01:51 PM.