gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
In my town (one of the largest urban areas in the US), I would drop over $40 for a cab ride to/from my doctor, which is a trip of about ten miles. No transit is available for that trip, and if I chose a doctor on a transit line, it would require changing bus routes at least once and make the travel time approach two hours each way. Transit in this country is geared to get people to/from work places and doctors seem to locate in non-transit areas in much of the country (with a couple of exceptions).

So with the relative frequency that children require doctors visits, or simply visiting relatives and friends. Taxi's don't seem to be a viable option.
I think the yes/no decision on needing a car is pretty simple. Add up the number of doctor visits. Factor in the number of family and friend visits. Multiply this by the average cab fare.

Then compare to the cost of an automobile, factoring in all expenses.

In your case, the car might win out, but in other cases, perhaps not. In my experience (years ago...) I went through several length periods without a car. I found the pre-school period to be a lot easier than when the kids start interacting with others.

Had I lived in a city with good infrastructure support (including Zip cars, services close by, other parents in the same boat...) the later years might have been easier.