Old 08-10-13, 09:47 PM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Sorry to say, that was 100.0000% your fault. The van had its indicators on FAR before you got to it. You should have slowed and dropped behind the van and waited for it to turn, or perhaps moved to the left to get around it a bit faster depending on what oncoming (and overtaking) traffic was doing.
I agree. As the driver manual the OP linked to says on page 78, "Do not pass on the right – Do not pass on the right side of vehicles in traffic at intersections. Motorists turning right may not look for, or see, a bicycle passing on the right."

As far as how to avoid the situation in the future, I'd say slow down. I have a few spots I ride where cars want to make a right and I use it as an opportunity to grab a sip of water. I let the cars go and merge in as there is an opening. Sometimes this is further back and I make cars go slow behind me (i.e. I take the lane), other times it is at the last second. Regardless, I have found going slow, and being ready to speed up and take the opening when it is there, works for me. YMMV.

The mirror is probably a good idea too, although I haven't found them as useful for me as other people here have.