Old 08-10-13, 10:56 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 339 Posts
I used to ride my Sports on the C&O when I lived in Bethesda. I have been running basic street gumwall 26 x 1-3/8 tires on it for years. It rode OK on there, but I found it tended to have a bit of sideways bounce and hop on there. I usually stuck to the Capital Crescent up there. I've had better luck with the Raleigh DL-1 and the Hercules 650b on that sort of mixed dirt/gravel surface. Are those tires larger than the usual Kenda type for Raleigh sports or just a different tread?

Originally Posted by 73emgee
Here is another Gold Edition Sports acquired 3 weeks ago. This is on the DC Seersucker Ride along the C&O Canal, my son borrowed it to ride in the event. The Gold-Editions were produced from 1968-1973, and were considered a "budget" version of the Sports. They have Endrick rims, Twist-Grip shifter, and White mattress saddle and handlebar grips. This one has the more traditional hockey-stick chainguard. The candy Gold color really pops on a sunny day. I replaced the white saddle and grips with Black. This one will receive a proper tune-up and maintenance when I finish my current project, a 1953 Sports Tourist.

WP_20130707_015 by 73emgee, on Flickr