Old 08-10-13, 11:51 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by storckm
I know I've seen pictures of infants in bicycle seats (see here, here, here, here, and here), but I haven't been able to find any models designed for infants. I've heard that in other lands, carrying a child in a sling or backpack is common, and I've seen it done here too.
I haven't been able to find the picture I have in mind, but if I remember it correctly, it was a seat in between the front handlebars where a baby could lie down.
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
Your sarcasm is noted (and quite childish). I was asking from legitimate interest. In most of the US, walking and public transit are not really options. Taxi's are certainly an option but can get extremely expensive very quickly. Since children under 1 need to see doctors suprisingly often for non-ambulance (which are also EXTREMELY expensive) level reasons I am curious how car-free folks can accomplish those trips since apparently none of the bicycle child carriers are designed for children under 1 year...

Yes, it is shocking how rude folks on this forum are. One would think that riding bicycles would improve moods, which evidence indicates is not the case.
Originally Posted by gescom
Apologies if this is a bit off topic...

My wife had to be hospitalised around 2 months after giving birth this year. I needed to take our newborn son in to see her. Stupidly I drove (a borrowed car) to save time getting to the hospital...

Driving carefully down a straight road, someone on the inside lane decided to do a u-turn right in front of me without looking...

The scariest moment of my life was to be involved in that car accident. Thankfully nobody was hurt including my newborn son. Luckily I was travelling well under the speed limit. If I had been doing the speed limit (80km/h), then I would say the accident would have been fatal.

I have no idea why people think taking babies in cars is somehow so much safer. There's risk in everything.

I found the best means of travel with our newborn was on the train. If you're by yourself, it's so much easier to attend to the newborn in the pram. As well, baby bjorn style carriers that carry your baby on your chest are also ideal. He enjoyed looking at people, out the window and could see me or my wife as much as he wanted.

Anyway, after that incident we're happy to remain car free.

If I needed to take our 6 month old in a bike carrier then I would ride slowly, just a bit more than walking pace and away from cars as much as possible.

I would have gotten a bike trailer, however my wife much prefers walking.
Good advice about walking and taking the train. I agree with your opinion that cars are not particularly safe for children. Here's some supporting evidence from a public health expert. I haven't read it, but it looks like something you might be interested in:

http://www.toronto.ca/health/hphe/pd...ion_burden.pdf

"Think Outside the Cage"