Old 09-19-05, 04:12 PM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by late
They make foie gras by sticking a tube down a birds throat and shoving lots of food in. The forced feeding increases the size of the liver by as much as four times. You are doing something similar with
predigested protein.

You have a 20 minute window after exercise when glycogen is formed at 3 times the normal rate. But even there what can the body use in 20 minutes? I'd guess 5 or 10 grams. If you are using such a product you should find the ideal dosage, and cut back to it.
I read the comments with interest. I was not sure the analogy above applies and is correct. Anyway, I wrote Dr. Beraldi. His reply is below:

As far as those comments on the site, check out this article to rebut the protein comment:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/dear.htm

As far as the other comments:

1) If liver volume were to increase by that amount, there would be abnormal liver function readings...Also, there would be some scientific evidence of liver hypertrophy in high protein diet situations...Neither are present in human studies.

2) As far as the glycogen comment, there is an increased glycogen resynthesis rate after exercise for up to 3 hours. Further, higher carb feedings increase glycogen resynthesis dramatically. In our studies we've used 0.8g/kg (with 0.4g/kg protein) every 1 hour and saw a boost in glycogen resynthesis vs 1.2g carb/kg alone and placebo drinks alone.

3) After exercise the goal is to boost glycogen and protein turnover/recovery and immune system function. Therefore the idea that you should "cut down" to what's optimal only focusses on glycogen while ignoring the other concerns (protien recovery/immune function).

And here's an interesting article to read that'll discuss some of this...
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...ydra?id=461132

Regards

Univega