Old 08-14-13, 07:11 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Pedaler
I don't agree with the Hybrid Hate. While I've been on Road Bikes since '11, I started on a Trek 7300 (Hybrid) and regularly did rides of 40+ miles daily. To say that a hybrid is only good for rides up to 20 miles is, well, wrong. Are there more efficient bikes? Certainly. But I wouldn't write them off.

I don't think you "need" a Triple or a specific gear range. What you "need" is the bike that best works for how/ where you ride. That may very well be a Triple. But it may also be a Compact Double with a 10 speed Cassette. My Hybrid had a Triple chain ring and I never used the small ring. My Roadie has a Compact Double and I love it. But that's me, you may be different.

I do very much agree with the advice given to test ride as many bikes as you can, both Hybrids and Roadies, and whatever else you can put your butt on. If you have the luxury of time before you purchase, take advantage of it. The shopping time can be one of the funnest parts. When you find the bike that's right, you'll know it.
I also said a Triple OR a compact double. Careful, though, using your experience with a hybrid as a reason why OP shouldn't worry about gearing on a roadbike. Most hybrids have mountain bike gearing, which is much lower. A standard double with a 39 tooth small chainring and narrow range cassette is going to be a challenge for even a very fit 200 lb plus rider for climbing. I also seldom used the small chainring on my hybrid. But I use the small chainring on my road bike fairly often for climbs. Why? It isn't geared as low as my hybrid, so the small chainring is more needed.