Old 08-15-13, 10:03 PM
love.the.smell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osiris419
You are going to have to carry around another chain with you when you want to switch gears, plus your chainline will not be good in any ratio you put it in. If you want a multi-speed fixed gear get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer.../dp/B0042R50QQ

No, I do not want a shift lever on my bicycle and no, I will not need to carry another chain.

My horizontal dropouts are really long and I've been able to accommodate a 5T difference in the rear cog. Also, if I used two chainrings the chainline could be set perfectly set though I would only be able to use one cog from either side with each chainring and the rear wheel will stay in exactly the same place if the chainrings and cogs differ by the same number of teeth. Say I could run my 54/17 or 52/19 with same chainlength and perfect chainline. Then I might run 54/20 or 52/22 each with correct chainline and same chainlength but the rear axle would be slightly forward (3/8", right?) in the dropouts.

For starters I'm ordering the Dos ENO 20/22t and running that on my current free hub and I'll maybe have to re-dish the wheel slightly to get my chainline correct. I'm gonna do this step by step as I research and select which components to use - I haven't decided which fixed/fixed hub I would like but after the hub selection I'll build the wheel, get the surly dingle and then figure out what to do about chainrings.

Anyone know where I can find a 52 chainring that fits the stock schwinn crank? Looks like 130mm bolt pattern. I like the Origin8 but they don't have one in 52t.