Old 08-17-13, 09:22 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
It's a question of semantics. The OP is measuring the stem diameters, which equal the steerer IDs, while IthaDan is trying to explain the standard nomenclature for quill stems is by the OD of the steerer they fit. ia, a stem which measures 7/8" is called a 1" stem because it's for a 1" threaded fork. The OP needs a 1-1/8" stem (measures 1") for his tandem fork.

I don't know that anybody sells the adapter the OP needs, but it would have to be a 1" OD x 7/8" ID tube long enough to reach from the top of the headset to the bottom of the stem where the expansion happens. It would have to be split at the bottom so it could expand as the stem bolt is tightened.

The OP can go to the hardware store and see if he can find something with the right ID & OD, then fabricate the shim with a hacksaw. Otherwise hus best bet would be to return this stem and shop for a 1-1/8" stem.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.