Old 08-17-13, 02:20 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
So how do you ride a bike? I have no idea how I just do.
You steer into the fall. I.e. if you start to lean just a bit to the left then you steer in that direction to again bring your center of gravity over the line between the contact points of your tires so you remain upright. Fortunately this becomes intuitive very quickly so we constantly make slight steering corrections to remain balanced without thinking about it.

The advice given previously on starting without pedals and a very low seat is good for teaching both kids and adults and is unlikely to result in any falls for either group. I've found an empty parking lot (company lot on weekends, church lot during the week) to be ideal for learning. These usually have a very slight slope for drainage that will let the learner coast downhill at about walking speed. Just practice pushing yourself along and taking longer and longer strides between putting a foot down as you gain a sense of balance. Once you can coast for some distance then practice some gentle turns. Only after you have good enough balance to coast and turn easily should the pedals be reinstalled - but still keep the seat low initially as you learn to balance while also pedaling. Finally incrementally start raising the seat to a more normal level as you get more comfortable and confident on the bike.