Old 08-18-13, 01:24 PM
sean999

Bikes: '86 or '87 Trek 850 MTB (bought used in 2007); previously: 1999 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In some areas this won't be sufficient security against theft! I used to live in San Francisco, CA, and had my seat post and seat (and attached blinky) stolen, even after I'd replaced the QR clamp with a bolt-on (hex wrench required). This was not in an obviously-sketchy area, either. The LBS folks I chatted with about this all (at several SF shops) said that this was not uncommon (2008 or so, I believe) in SF and other "major" cities.

I ended up getting a product (maker's name escapes me now, but they're well known for other bike stuff) that allows clamp to be opened only when bike is turned upside-down. Later I discovered that Pinhead (was then being sold under a different name -- big bike-lock co., also can't remember that name!!) sold a set of their well-known locking wheel skewers (to replace wheel QR's) that also has a matching locking seat post clamp. My girlfriend bought that 3-piece set, and has been happy with it for past 2 years or so. (I've been happy with Pinhead wheel skewer locks for 4 years or so.)

-Sean

Last edited by sean999; 08-18-13 at 01:33 PM. Reason: want to add more info