Old 08-19-13, 02:11 AM
Pilotac

Bikes: Schwinn Probe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been there...

I had the same problem. I bought a used Specialized Crosstrail. I lost my first spoke days after buying the bike. I had it replaced and then lost another. Then, like you, I thought maybe that if I put in stronger spokes the problem would be solved. I replaced the spokes on both tires, not just the rear. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. A bike mechanic suggested I consider going with a 36 spoke rim as opposed to the 34 spoke rim the bike came with. I made the change and I have had no problems for the last few years. Now, while I have lost a bunch of weight, I am still over 300 lbs. My only problem with my bike is the occasional flat I get. The wheel has been great. I found the rim on Amazon and it cost about $55.00. You can have an even beefier rear wheel built by a bike mechanic. I was quoted about $200. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Originally Posted by bigdoug
Hi Folks,

Im a super Clyde if there ever was one. I'm 6'0 and get ready, 400lbs. I lost 130lbs due to weight loss surgery over the past two years. I have found that bike riding is my way to reaching the weight that I want to be. I have never done any activity that has given me more enjoyment than riding my bike, well, maybe one, but this is a family board.

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on rear wheels. I'm on my second bike, I destroyed my first hoping a curb and ended up buying a Scott Aspect 950. I'll put some pics below for everyone's enjoyment.

The problem I'm having is that I have been riding my new Scott for about 3 months and have started breaking spokes in the rear wheel. Had both wheels trued and 2 new spokes put in yesterday. Rode to work this morning and ping! Another spoke bites the dust.

Do I need a better back rim and heavier spokes? What about a fat bike for winter riding? Can they be modified for heavier riders, I would love to ride all winter. Keep in mind Im in Canada around Niagara Falls.

this was my first bike.

This is my new bike

Close up of rear rim