Old 08-19-13, 11:33 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Most trunk mount racks, use the trunk lid to hold them on, with a bunch of straps and buckles and assorted mechanisms. We had one for a year or so, and it was so complex to put it on, that we never did use it. Hitch mount racks are better in this regard, just slide it into the receiver and insert the pin. You want to make sure that the rack and receiver are the same size.

I resolved this by getting a van big enough that I can toss the bikes in the back.....

Now that my Audi Avant is toast my gf has been using an old Yakima aluminum trunk rack on the back of her Mini. What a PITA! It mounts OK to the car but trying to get the rubber straps over the bike tubes and secured is such a hassle I really want to just throw it away. So I guess some research into the hitch mount type is in order.

FWIW this whole healing process is moving more slowing than I anticipated. I am getting better but more slowly than I imagined. Sleeping in shifts of 2-5 hrs. happens at all times of the day and night and eating is difficult thanks to sutures in my lip and a chipped tooth. All in all I would not recommend others do what I have done. Still down 15 lbs but with little energy. Patience, never my strong suit, is what I need to learn.