Old 08-20-13, 12:58 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Ta-daaaah! Completed build on repainted Romic frame

Here is the finished build on the repainted Romic 531 steel frame I showed in a thread last week. I am in love (again)! Weight as shown (as per the electronic balance at my LBS down the block) is 16.82 lb, right on the money what I predicted. When I substitute a pair of aluminum clinchers for the carbon (same build as the carbon but with Kinlin XR200 20mm deep rims), the weight drops to 16.30 lb.

I know there was some sentiment for a more classic build up with a group like Athena silver, but the more black stuff I started piling on, the better I liked it. The one thing I don't care for is the black tape. Here is my problem. I have already eliminated red tape as too matchy-matchy. I have a package of tape that was sold as gold, but it came in kind of beige instead. Nanh! That left white and black. I always go white, so I thought I would try the black. I will ride it a bit this way, but I know I am going to go white next time. Unless you guys have any good ideas. Just one thing, NO MANGO!

I was surprised that the reach is a little short. I haven't ridden this frame in years, and I guess I have become accustomed to both my other bikes with longer reach. The seat post on my other bikes (no longer available) has 25 mm set back, but the Thomson Masterpiece only has 10 mm set back. So that is part of the problem. I have ordered a 120 mm stem to replace the 110 on there now, and I will try to cram the saddle back a little more in the clamp. If I flip the stem down, I will get some more reach, but I am not sure I will like that. Time will tell.

Here is where I open things up for comment: "Lay on MacDuff, and damned be he who first cries, 'Hold! Enough!'"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BIke4.jpg (99.2 KB, 198 views)
Bike3.jpg (101.4 KB, 110 views)
Bike5.jpg (103.0 KB, 81 views)