View Single Post
Old 08-22-13, 12:46 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, some of us are biased. I sold my car last winter after putting 50 miles on it in 8 years, and 30 of those miles were driving it home from where I bought it.

The thing to do is work your way into it. Keep the car. Keep it ready to roll and use it when you need it. Get a couple of bikes, a good one for daily riding and a "beater" for bad weather, rough roads, parking in bad neighborhoods and as backup when the good one needs work.

Then start living a car-free life. See how it goes. See what challenges you have and what works. You'll know when it's time to sell the car or whether car-lite works better for you.

Check out the Winter riding forum for questions about riding all winter. The Commuter forum is good for topics of day-in day-out street riding. The Utility Riding forum is good for carrying loads.

My particular set up is a 1988 Hard Rock with street slicks, fenders, lights, rear rack, shopping panniers, and a trailer hitch for my Bikes at Work 64AW trailer which can carry up to 300 lbs.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 08-22-13 at 12:50 PM.