Old 08-23-13, 08:26 AM
cadiremar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help finding rigid fork to replace aging suspension fork for commuter

NEW CONTENT TO REFLECT ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS:

I have a old Scott Atacama Tour (circa 2001) with 700c wheels and a RST 801-7 suspension fork (1-1/8"threaded) where the suspension has stopped working altogether (due to the bike standing outside neglected for a couple of years). The fork has about 430 axle to crown length and 45mm rake.
I wish to change to a rigid fork as I only commute on (on average pretty good) paved roads and bike lanes.
I was at first looking at disc mount capable forks, but it was pretty hard to find one with a suitable lengths so, I've settled back to v-brakes (and I have an unused pair of Deore laying around).
The current contenders are this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-700c-...item4611cdda8a
-20mm a-c, and +5mm gives me +1.02 degree head angle and -12mm trail.
And this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-HYBRI...item5d43577a0d
-30mm a-c, and -5 rake gives me +1.57 degree head angle and -5mm trail.

Both are nice as I can keep the headset I have without switching headset and stem for threadless variants, thereby keeping costs down.
Based on the advice I've got in the thread I should be okay with either fork (but the first one is better) and simply take it easy the first times I use the new fork. Correct?

(On a similar note there's a guy at the local coop selling a 2010 Kona Dew frame, Kona P2 fork and a threadless headset, which is very tempting due to it having a similar frame geometry as my Scott as well as disc brake mounts front and back. Another reason that I want to keep the cost down.)

OLD POST FOR THOSE THAT ARE INTERESTED:
Hi
I'm looking for a new rigid fork with disc mounts for my daily commuter.
The bike is a circa 2001 Scott Atacama Tour with a RST 801-7 suspension fork. The frame uses oversized tubing with a 1 1/8" headtube and 700c wheels.
With the help of some friendly people at the local bike coop I've managed to measure the current axle-to-crown length to about 440mm (when sitting on the bike). I did not manage to measure the rake.
I was at first looking at the Surly Disc Trucker, On-One Pompetamine or Cotic Roadrat, but they all have between 390mm and 400mm a-c length, which according to both Cotic and the bike coop would mess up the geometry and handling of the bike.
So does anyone have any recommendations for a suspension corrected rigid fork with disc mounts and preferably fender mounts as well? And just to make it even harder, someplace in Europe (preferably UK) that sells one.
I've looked at the Salsa CroMoto, but I'm finding different a-c lengths everywhere (445mm, 465mm and 468mm to be exact), which kinda makes it hard to settle for it. I've also looked at the On-One Monocoque which has a a-c length of 450mm, but it's carbon and I don't know well that would stand up to commuter duty, plus it's quite expensive.

Last edited by cadiremar; 08-29-13 at 02:59 AM.