View Single Post
Old 08-24-13, 07:35 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris Thater M55+, 60's, headwind up the hill, small field, 4th. As much as I wanted to win this thing, I knew that my legs were not going to be on form no matter what. That's just the way it works. The plan was to ride a few laps near the front and then make a couple of test attacks. However, guys were attacking and sitting up after getting caught. Counters, same thing. So I waited and watched. About 7 laps in a good strong attack followed by a counter got me to counter again and hold it. This broke the field in half. Another set of attacks got it down to five. I hesitate to call it a break because nobody worked together at all. I got three of us away for half a lap but then when I pulled off they sat up and we were caught. I went with the race winner but he wouldn't work with me either. So on the last lap I'm marking the race winner (got that part right) but the speeds were way too slow, like 25mph. Too slow for me. I thought about attacking before turn four but didn't. Coming out of the final turn I hit the gas but the legs just wouldn't jump. I could not hold the race winner's wheel. No gas.

After a 90 minute break I did the M45+ race which was stacked with Cat1's. The pace was consistently much faster but I was hanging in just fine. A break of three got away fairly early. Then one bridged, then another. I tried a bridge attempt with a Cat1 but we were caught. He went alone a second time and made it to another solo bridger. With 6 to go the pace eased and I took a flyer. I stayed out for a lap but the legs were just not there. I made my way back to the front of the field with 2 to go. On the last lap as I crested the hill in good position my rear derailleur would not shift up, stuck in the 53/19. I spun it at 140rpm to the finish but I was at the very back.

Nice to see you Andrew.