Old 08-25-13, 06:41 AM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Yeah, it is. Velonews had it only 43 grams of drag behind the Cervelo S5. (IIRC the S5 is around 200g of drag saved vs round-tube bikes.)

I'd guess it's from the Cervelo S1. And the S5. And the Venge. And the FOIL. I'm sure I could find other reviews that characterize most aero bikes as "harsh."

Find any racing bike that isn't considered "harsh." If OP needed a Roubiax he would have been asking abou endurance luxury cruiser bikes. Stiffness and efficiency is often slightly sacrificed for comfort. If not we would all be on aero shaped incredibly stiff soft riding roubiaxs.

Sure, but again: The advantages of a highly aerodynamic frame (like the S5) will be drowned out by noise when riding on the streets. (Nor do we know whether aero advantages are relevant to the OP; all we know so far is he wants to beat his Strava times.)

Agreed.

Why? Is there something special and magical about a frame?

Aero wheels, aero helmet, skinsuit, shoe covers -- it all does the same thing, namely reduce drag.
Yes there is. None of the thngs you listed make the frame more aerodynamic.

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
9W it is, then.

Allow me to rephrase: If you like the ride feel, and cost is not an issue, then there is no downside to an aero frame. Just don't be surprised if the results are hard to detect in Strava.
Agreed.