View Single Post
Old 08-28-13, 04:12 AM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Krenovian
The second problem surfaced when I inspected and adjusted the pads on the front caliper. With the pads removed I depressed the brake lever actuating the caliper piston. After replacing the pads and adjusting them I grabbed the brake lever and everything seemed fine. I depressed it a second time and it went all the way to the handlebar. Thinking I had broken something I disassembled the caliper and found that there are three ball bearings which ride in tapered grooves involving the actuating arm. As the arm is moved the balls ride into the shallower portion of the taper moving the piston inwards. I realized that by actuating the arm without pads installed I had probably moved the balls out of the groove. With the balls in that position I had adjusted the pads after reinstalling them. Upon activating the caliper lever a couple of times the balls moved back into the tapered groove. This created a situation where there was too much travel in the system to be taken up by the brake lever without adjusting the pads a second time.

Curt
Curt, I've been told that your second problem is the reason for the recall.