View Single Post
Old 08-28-13, 08:26 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
If you pay attention to the news, you'll think the world is just one big disaster

Surveys show that most people believe crime is worse than ever, but it's actually declined significantly since the 80s.

I live about 10 miles outside a city of about 200,000 (Tallahassee, FL) in a tiny hamlet. Most days, I can ride 40 miles on nice country roads without ever putting my feet down. (The bike club comes out here to ride as there are so many relatively car free roads and the cars there are seem very accommodating to cyclists.) Been here near 20 years and the only crime I know of in the immediate area is the odd theft from a car overnight. And even that seems pretty rare. I seldom lock my truck at night and have no fear taking a walk at midnight. Close enough to the city to be near enough to hospitals and shopping (although sometimes it seems a bit of a pain as running out to the supermarket is a ten mile drive). No problem riding year round, although I miss a few days in the winter as I really don't care to ride if it below the mid 50s. All things considered, I can't really think of a place I'd rather be.