View Single Post
Old 08-29-13, 06:59 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I wonder if there is a nice crime free area, or close to crime free as possible, to retire. Nice riding of course and close to medical services. As well as something's to do, besides riding.

Maybe I should just stop watching the news, like a lot of people have told me ( they have). It’s like living life with you head in the sand.

I start looking at places and they all seem to have the same crimes everywhere I look. Is it an impossible dream and do you just except it?

I moved down to south Texas from Chicago and I really think it’s worse here than there. We wanted to get away from the cold harsh winters. Sometimes I wish we were in a more moderate climate, but like I mentioned, every time I start checking places out they all end up the same.

Anybody have any ideas?
I'm looking at Edwardsville, Il. and Columbia, MO. Both are collage towns with lengthy networks of bike-paths and trails. The weather is milder than Chicago and the crime rate is far lower. Using Amtrak, I can put my bike on the train and be anywhere in the midwest the same day or in the Rockies the next day.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-29-13 at 09:09 AM.