View Single Post
Old 08-29-13, 08:46 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in the same theme as others have mentioned, is the crime you refer to actual or just what you get through the media? In fact, with the exception of certain areas in cities like Chicago crime(other than BIG crime by the financial industry) is way down. Even in the "high crime" areas in big cities it is mainly marketing disputes between illegal drug distribution networks because they can't use the usual court system.

Then, is the crime Stranger Crime or Acquaintance Crime. In my state, for example, we have a young, alcohol consuming, relatively transient population so sex crimes, domestic violence between known individuals and the like are pretty high. But, a person has very little to fear from anyone else.

Media and politicians don't like to differentiate because it is to their advantage to keep you fearful and ignorant.

To me climate is really not an issue. I have preferences but the Critical Thing is the lifestyle I can have while I'm there. It is easy to put on a coat or turn up the air conditioning if the local culture matches.

Available services when I can no longer drive is a big deal to me also. Many "retirement communities" have few or no provisions for having a life if a person can't drive. Sometimes they claim public or other transportation. But, upon checking, I find it is actually pretty bad except for the poor who can use state assistance and the wealthy who can afford to hire a driver or take a taxi.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 08-29-13 at 08:56 AM.