Old 08-29-13, 10:06 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunburst
Picked this up yesterday. Could anyone identify the model, year or era perhaps (the questimate by seller was early 90's), and give me an idea of value?

Also, and this seems like a really dumb question, but does it fold!? I couldn't manage it. I see two quick releases on the seat tube: the top one's for the rack, the other at a pivot point on the frame, but it doesn't seem like a quick-folder, like for train duty. It seems to me the allen bolts on the bottom bracket would have to be loosened as well, for the frame to pivot.

It came with a suitcase, and many photos of it fitting inside, so I know it can be broken down for travel but that's not what I had in mind. The quick release on the head tube doesn't seen to release the handlebars either. I'm baffled by this bike!

Other details to help identify: 20" wheels (nice!), a triple crank, 8-speed cluster, mostly Suntour components. And for valuing, like I said previously, it included a rack and suitcase.

It's early 90s, probably 95 to 96 era and is a New World Tourist. You have a V-brakes at the front and Canti brakes at the rear. If the rear canti brake says "Diacompe Big Dog" then it's early 90s -- probably 92, but because you have a front V-brake installed which was then an option for existing NWT to replace the Diacompe Big Dog on the front to enhance braking performance. Stock NWT in 90s come only with a pair of Big Dog brakes. There was also an option to upgrade the rear triangle with V-brake posts as well. Earlier NWTs with a pair Big Dog brakes are the worst in terms of braking performance when loaded.

Value for that model isn't a lot. It's not the monotube version of the current models and roughly goes for around $500 or less. I would inspect all the welds and make sure they are no cracks especially near the steerer post area. Check for the steerer post for play or excessive play. If excessive play, you may need to replace the post. You don't want excessive play as it can play a significant role in causing excessive gyroscopic vibration when going down a steep hill.

Bike Friday bikes weren't designed as a quick fold solution like the Dahon, Tern or the Brompton per se. They are designed to ride almost like a road bike and be as efficient as it can be setup for a rider. They are designed as a folding travel bike. You can fold it to use for train commute, but it will become cumbersome and you'll just end up unfolding it anyhow cause the downside of the BF fold is that the chain may come off from chain ring due to the frame pivot fold mechanism.

The Samsonite case is probably and most likely pre-TSA approved, which means you can't lock it or TSA will break your lock for inspection. The current case is TSA approved and they can unlock the case with their own set of TSA keys like my Delsey Helium case. TSA approved case holds more value than non TSA approved case, but it doesn't mean you can't use it.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 08-29-13 at 10:12 AM.