Old 08-29-13, 07:36 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstorkel
The Trek Madone, Specialized Tarmac, and Specialized Allez are racing-oriented bikes with fairly aggressive geometries. You'll lean over more, reach further to grab the bars, and the bike will change direction very quickly.

The Trek Domane ("doh-mah-knee"), Trek 1-series (1.1, 1.2, 1.5), Specialized Roubaix, and Specialized Secteur are "endurance" bikes with less-aggressive geometries. You'll sit more upright, the reach to the handlebars will be shorter and the bikes will have more stable handling.

You should test-ride bikes from both categories so you get a feel for the differences in comfort and performance.

Unfortunately, most of these bikes are out of your price range... unless you can somehow score a deep discount. In the $1100-1200 range, you're probably looking at the aluminum-framed Specialized Secteur, Specialized Allez, Trek 1.2, and Trek 1.5. If I were you, I would specifically consider the Trek 1.5 and Specialized Secteur Elite. There are the cheapest models that have reasonably decent components, though wheels may still be an issue.

You could also look at cyclocross bikes like the Trek CrossRip and Specialized Tricross. Component specs on these bikes tend to be a bit lower than you'd find on a road bike and you end up paying a bit more for it. As an example, the Specialized Tricross Sport has an MSRP of $1300 and includes a 9-speed Sora drivetrain while the Secteur Elite goes for $1200 and includes a 10-speed Tiagra drivetrain. On the plus side, cyclocross bikes tend to have lower gearing (making it easier to pedal up hills), and you've got clearance for large, comfy tires.
Listen to ^this^ advice.