s0ul_chicken
Live to Ride!

Bikes: Airborne Goblin - Airborne Griffin - Airborne Black Plague

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is everyone riding this weekend?

It's going to be a great weekend! The perfect time to head out to my favorite trail and give the Goblin a go-around the Alien Run.This trail is just under 9 miles around an old UFO crash site. Supposedly, there are higher levels of radiation around this trail than any other area surrounding it - perhaps that is what make it so much fun - gives the skin a nice glow! Images can be viewed in original form, on Flikr.

Here is where we start - along the slick rock, in and out of Pinion and Juniper trees up the canyon rim. It's all uphill from here, all the way to the Alien monument.

The slickrock is a blast to ride, getting a bit technical in the bowls and walls.

The trail has several spurs off the main leg if you feel like you need to work on your technical skills. I have tried the Black Hole once - once. I will try it again here soon when I get a bit more comfortable on the Goblin.

The trail winds back inward from the ridge to some slightly technical rock outcroppings and more uphill fun.

I still have yet to fully clear this section as this spot is a dead left hand turn between two boulders that is almost impossible to turn unless you hop the back tire to the right.

Once you get to the far eastern side of the loop, you come out onto a clearing where you will find the Alien monument. By looking at the overhead satellite map, you can almost make out the alien face that was made with river rock.

After this point is the Outer Limits, a 4.5 mile out and back trail - something I have yet to try, but I hear it is more uphill. Not sure about you, but I am ready to cruise back and try my hand at some fast downhill.

But first, more technical downward climbs. If you look close to where the shade is over the trail, there is an actual rut in the rock itself, about 4 inches deep. Getting steep!!

Once you clear the rocks, it's all about speed and agility. The Saiz brothers did an outstanding job on this trail as not one tree was cut down to make it - which means there are trees waiting to take your head off if you don't duck in time. You really have to be on your toes on the way back as it is fast as it is tight.

The bike was outstanding with only minor complaints. The biggest complaint was chain-slap and lots of it. No worries, nothing a Lizard Skin won't fix. The second was some squealing rear brakes about 3/4 the way through the trail. Again, only minor as I am sure I can rid that problem with a bit of brake maintenance.

A big thumbs up to Airborne, and the Goblin - I had a great time on the bike and look forward to another round this coming weekend.

Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 08-30-13 at 10:37 AM.