View Single Post
Old 08-30-13, 11:04 AM
DetroitSchwinn

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Super Sport Sunset Orange, 1974 Le Tour Kool Lemon, 1974 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1981 SR Semi-Pro Blue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metacortex
You don't gain (or lose) as much as you think on just the seat post. The 9" steel post weighs only 5.8oz (164 grams). A 300mm (11.8") alloy post weighs 5.4oz (153g), not much of a savings there. Of course if you cut the alloy post down to 9" that should proportionately drop the weight further to about 4.1oz (116g).

The clamp w/binder bolt on the other hand is a massively heavy 3.0oz (85g) solid steel piece. Alloy replacements are about 1oz (28g) or less, but you need to find one that is 30mm and you'll need a new compatible rear brake cable hanger as well.
I use a B17 imperial on the bike and the current post makes lacing the saddle difficult. Would a new seat post with an improved clamp remedy that? I should add I am putting every last piece that I remove into a super sport box, and I don't mind spending a few dollars. There is also a really great bike co-op for new-to-me parts.