View Single Post
Old 08-31-13, 11:42 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
You just have to watch "best places to live" lists and note the source. What might be "best" for that groups membership may not be best for you. Retirees don't have the same priorities as a young family for example.
I suspect that inclusion on these. "Best" lists depends a lot on who will pay the most. Plus, lots of creative writing goes into the blurbs.

After spending a Lot of time and effort just before my trauma doing research I've come to the conclusion that most of the time staying where you are is the best answer. Some random factoids:
-Part of the reason we bought our current home was the city bus stop just down the street. Two years after purchase the city moved the stop beyond walking distace. Similar things are happening across the counfry.
-Many, if not most, "retirement" communities have no or minimal logistics for the infirm. "Aging out" of traditional retirement communities is becoming common.
-As has been mentioned communities change. Some for the better, others for the worse.
-Don't undervalue the importance of being in a culture where you know you fit. Many people have made the expensive mistake of moving for climate only to discover they were miserable and had to move again.
-Each of us will change over time. There is no substitute for maintaining flexibility to adapt to and enjoy that change.