Old 09-01-13, 11:49 AM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
I hear exactly what you are saying. From an optical stand point, it's simply an illusion that the saddle is slammed forward. In reality it is moved back as far as the manufacturer's indicated limits. I've removed the saddle bag attachment to eliminate its role in this illusion. But, yes, I concur that it doesn't "look right".
(please pardon the poor focus)
The seat isn't that far off, consider the fact he has to run a ton of seat post, as do I, you get setback as a result as the seat post is on an angle back over the crank. It took me a bit to figure out the saddle fit for me at 37" bike inseam on too small a frame, and part of it was that the build came with an offset post..changing to a zero offset got me sorted out. Follow the line of the seat tube in my pic, the seat is slammed forward, with the zero offset I'm about 1cm forward of the center of the rails now. Nearly the same position in the end.

I'm more surprised you can tolerate the bars drop, heh, with my flexibility I can't so I have a steerer extension now as well.

Here's my ride before the zero offset and the riser. I've got new bars that are deeper drop and larger hooks coming too, so I'll get another pic at some point with the more current configuration.

Being tall sucks for a few things, clothes, shoes, and bicycles. I did this build to try and save cash on a full custom as a last ditch but I'm discovering that a full geo custom may be in the cards for next year.