View Single Post
Old 09-02-13, 09:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5823 Post(s)
Liked 2,657 Times in 1,477 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
Please. Get ONE SINGLE MANUFACTURER to state that their helmet can prevent a "truly serious head injury.".
I don't wear a helmet, but the idea that helmets do little or nothing to prevent serious injury is as inaccurate as the belief that they prevent most or all serious injuries. Helmets mitigate brain or head injury by lowering the G-force of impacts. An impact that might result in a mild concussion, might be mitigated to no injury. An impact that might have caused a severe concussion or skull fracture may be mitigated to a mild concussion w/o skull fracture.

The debate about helmets shouldn't be over whether they offer protection, but about the level of protection (for those who wear them) and about whether the risk of head injury when cycling warrants protection in the first place. The latter depends on the rider and how and where they ride, and is a personal decision.

For my part I don't have to argue that helmets don't do anything to support my decision not to wear one.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.