Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I like two separate panniers instead of two joined together. I like that if I only need one, I only have to take one. It also makes it easier to put them on the rack and take them off again.
Originally Posted by tsl
I too didn't want anything too large, so I use touring panniers designed for the front, even though I hang them on the rear rack. They're smaller than touring panniers designed for the back. I get four shirts and a pair of jeans in one, the week's worth of lunches in plastic containers, apples, oranges and snacks in the other. With room for a hardcover novel in each (an occupational hazard), my lock and assorted sundries.
+1 on separates, and using fronts on the back. I run an ancient pair of Cannondale fronts that I picked up for a song on Craigslist. They aren't anywhere near waterproof but I line them each with a large kitchen bag and have never gotten anything wet yet.

I keep tools, spare tube and my lunch on the right and my clothing on the left, with room to spare in each. Though I don't need it I have a handlebar bag that I use for my easy reach stuff. Having a little cargo carrying capacity to spare is not a bad thing IMO.

Winter is coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-11-12+16.04.03.jpg (95.6 KB, 36 views)