Old 09-04-13, 10:13 AM
firesfate

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Ride

Ok from my introduction a while back, I have been an on and off rider for a long time but am really trying to get a routine. I am going for fitness goals. I am the ultimate clyde...not only am I 400 lbs but I am also 6'2" tall. I went on my first ride today with the intention of pushing myself a little but not over doing it. I know myself enough to know that I will get discouraged if I go to far too early.

So here is my experience:

First it was great to get on the bike and feel the wind in my face again. Got my helmet, gloves, water bottle, road id, glasses and turned on Stravia. Kids are all in school now so why not take a ride at lunch.. I work a whopping 10 days a month anyway so time to do it. So I am taking my ride and I am just going through my neighborhood. It has some fairly significant hills in it (I actually came close to getting off and walking up one of them). Stravia mapped the ride perfect. It says my ride was 4.4 miles, 28:30 time moving, 115ft elevation gain.

Concerns:

I rode in and out of cul-de-sac's and various neighborhood streets to create the distance. When turning my back tire felt.... I guess you could say "squishy". Now I will be honest, I did not do a pre-ride pressure check as I have been doing small family rides with my kids. I know I should have checked before hand but just by "feel" they couldn't have been but so far off. Should I over inflate them a little?

2nd concern. My brakes are making a grinding sound. Both front and back. The back doesn't grab so well and they are new pads installed by LBS about a year ago. No visible signs of wear. I don't have a problems stopping however it is like nails on a chalk board to me.

I am looking for any advice, comments etc... as I said, I want to make this a habit... I will venture to new ride locations when I am secure that my bikes main issues are sorted out ( other than my huge butt).