TREK 2300 owner

Bikes: '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickkko
I found the ticking!

Can't believe it was the pedals! (Speedplay X/1 Titainium)...

..rickko..
Not!!!!

OK, here's the results. First, I was wrong in the above post. How do I know?

I sent the pedals into Speedplay. They disassembled them and found nothing inside that could be causing them to make a noise. They regreased them and sent them back to me yesterday.

In my previous post I said that as soon as I removed the Speedplay X/1s and put on some cheap old platform pedals the clicking went away! I thought I had it solved but I didn't. After I'd ridden about 30 or 40 miles in with the old pedals the clicking came back again. From that I deduced that the problem has to be related to the pedals and/or the pedal crank threads or something in that vicinity.

Here's the latest thing I did after receiving the Speedplay pedals back. I removed the platform pedals and noticed the surface of the crank surrounding where that part of the pedal screws into the crank to be a bit uneven or compressed a little from tightening the pedals into the crank. So, what I did was to first clean out the pedal threads in the crank arms, then I put a very, very small bead of grease on that surface, the surface just outside the perimeter of where the pedal gets threaded into the crank. Then I replaced the pedals. Now there is a thin layer of grease between where the pedal shaft contacts the crank.

Wha-laa! Today's 20 mile ride was click-free! Of course I'll be monitoring this but now I really think that was the problem area.

We'll see as time goes by...

..rickko..