Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by love2pedal.com
Wow, I haven't heard that name in a while. I hope his recovery goes well.

My memory of Dale is that his family would come to bike races in my area driving a huge motor home and Dale would win the Junior races and Wayne would win the Senior ones. It was a given.
Originally Posted by VaultGuru
I was at the Nevada City Classic in 1983 and watched the Dale and Eric Heiden race. The attached pic shows Dale (Blue #4 jersey) weaving through a crash on lap #2 . Dale went on to win the race. Eric (third guy back on the left) dropped out less than halfway through with stomach problems. The guy on his back under #2 4 survived the crash. He got back on his bike and took third place. I don't remember his name. Sorry about the quality of the pic. I have it mounted and framed behind glass.
I wish Dale a speedy and full recovery.
Great photo you got there.

Dale and his brother used to beat up on Eric Heiden and the 7-11s regularly in stateside races and they did it without the sponsor money that the 7-11s enjoyed. They used to travel around the country in an old motor home towing a VW and stay at friends houses where they could just plug in an extension cord. One example where they beat the 7-11s was the $65,000 Lowenbrau Grand Prix, a 10 race criterium series from Boston to Manhattan where they came in 1st and 2nd despite the 7-11s focusing on it.

And I promise to keep up on this and let y'all know how he's coming along.
So far he's responding to Nurses command to grab her hand with both hands and raise two fingers for her. After that he's been more active, moving his arms and legs, etc.

Last edited by Zinger; 09-05-13 at 01:51 AM.