Old 09-05-13, 09:22 AM
module

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I regret using the word "Forced" when naming this thread. I intended to inquire as to whether the practice of *hiding* legal release language on a check-out sheet was becoming common-place.

I purchase a few bikes each year for myself and my family and I was surprised that two different larger store chains attempted to play this game. I imagine that most parents might just sign the form presented to them in an effort to leave the store and move-on to other errands.

In my case I tend to read all the fine print before I sign anything and I often cross-out and initial any portions I don't agree with on a document. When the store presented me with the document it was all done with a gentle, "Just sign here to acknowledge that we assembled and checked the bike for you". Upon reading the fine print I discovered they were asking me to sign-away much more.

I'm not a lawyer but I do consider myself an educated and loyal customer.

...they not only lost the sale. They lost me as a customer.

We all know that in the right state, with the right lawyer that these contracts would be thrown-out and disallowed by the judge.

I am clear that the intent of these forms is an effort by the stores to limit nuisance lawsuits. But there is also a right-way to present these legal forms and I believe they should (1) present them up-front before customer purchases the bicycle, (2) don't attempt to obscure the language within other paperwork and (3) make sure the policy is consistent among all hazardous equipment that a store sells.

...had I known about the stores' policy before waiting for the bike to be assembled I would have saved myself the time, mileage and aggravation when dealing with this store.

So thank you for all the comments on my first thread here at BikeForums.net. I appreciate all of the feedback from the community.