Old 09-05-13, 09:54 PM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen

Given your location, I assume you will be riding the Silver Springs ride, if so, see you there.
cool! please introduce yourself! i'll be in an F&M kit on a #usa trek 1000.

Originally Posted by jlafitte
The limitations do not relate to distance, but rather to the number of points in the route and the amount of calculation the unit must perform to route between points. Splitting your route by controle as Unterhausen mentioned helps a lot, as well as having very accurate maps.

There is a learning curve with using prepared routes on these devices. If you're going on a brevet with an untested route, you may find the unit behaving unpredictably.

You might also find http://forums.garmin.com helpful.
thanks! i kind of had a feeling it had to do with how 'complex' the route was. i think i will split up by controles as you and unterhausen had suggested. will probably try to re-format my cue so that one page = one controle, as a kind of forced reminder to change courses on the garmin. this is only my 3rd or 4th try with plugging in a new route and getting the turn-by-turn, and i have had only one complete success (as in, i didn't mess up manually routing on ridewithgps.com, and didn't get lost by missing a turn or anything). so, here goes nothing....