View Single Post
Old 09-09-13, 06:40 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
September, done!

I rode my 1954 Alvin Drysdale sports tourer, which is is modern compared to some of the old English bikes I ride; 72° frame angles, Simplex Tour-de-France five speed gearing, downtube shifter. Here's the bike in the afternoon:

The great thing about those old English bikes is the dynohub lighting that lets me start as early as I like; this one doesn't have any, and I couldn't even find my battery lights, so I didn't start out until the sun was almost up. About an hour out I passed a little pond and saw a blue heron hunkered down on the water overflow, so I stopped asap and got out my camera. You know how it is with a digital camera; you push the shutter and wait for it to take the picture, and hope the subject doesn't fly off first. Well, just the opposite happened; I push the button hoping to get a photo of the blue heron in the foreground, and then I see this activity in the background, which proves to be a white heron.

Then the blue heron flew up and scared the white heron away; it flew up and landed in a tree:

And I rode away. Until about 9 AM I got to the sand roads of the pinelands, my average moving speed had been 16.5 mph or so, but it's been pretty dry lately, and the first sand road I hit was so soft I could barely ride at first. I let a lot of air out of my tires (27 x 1 1/4 paselas) and was able to go on.

When I got to the end of that road I leaned the bike up against a tree to pump the tires back up, and guess what I saw on the tree:

And soon I was underway again, now on one of the rare narrow paved roads through the pines:

I also tried some roads so narrow that cars don't drive on them; and these, it turned out, are pretty good riding as well, though not very fast:

By afternoon I was out on the pavement again, heading back north:

After a lunch stop at Budds Farm farmstand, and later a flat tire (it was a thorn, right through the tread of the tire, despite a tire saver!) I got home at about 4:30. Screenshot of my route:

and stats: