Old 09-09-13, 07:36 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by LabRat2k3
I know you said you were joking but just in case someone else is wondering the same thing I'll share my personal experience. I started with a box store MTB on July first of this year and then upgraded to my "real" bike in mid-August. The advantages I have seen are: My average speed has increased by 4.5 to 5 MPH, not only is going fast more fun, it burns more calories. Because I am traveling at a higher rate of speed I also cover more ground in the hour I set aside for riding each morning, burning even more calories, I've gone from 7 to 8 miles to 14 to 15 miles a day. My more expensive bike shifts when I want it to which lets me make it up hills that I was unable to get up before, the lighter weight helps here too. My cheap bike would shift whenever it felt like it if at all, most times I would try to shift when I came to a hill and nothing would happen until I was halfway up and really straining to keep pedaling, then it would jump to the next gear,my feet would fly off the pedals and I would loose all my momentum. Because I can get up more hills now it has opened up other areas for me to ride, which adds to the enjoyment of riding. So did I need a new bike? Probably not, but I am getting more out of my time and enjoying it more so it was worth it to me.
In another post, Mr.Rodgers claimed to average 14 to 16 mph on his department store bike with rusted chain and untrued wheels, but he drives his bike 12 miles to a flat MUP to avoid several hills near his house.