View Single Post
Old 09-10-13, 10:04 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have a similar road like that a block from my house. 5 lanes, speed limit is 50 mph, opens to 6 and then 7 lanes for a 1/4 mile at the west end, no shoulders - I AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE. With the 50 MPH speed limit I get passed in my car when driving it by people doing at least 60 if not 70 mph. I still see bicyclers on it on occasion.

And here I await getting blasted both barrels by the biker zealots: Just because you HAVE the right to "share the road" on any road that allows bicycles doesn't mean that it's smart, prudent or expedient to be ON that road. Some roads are just TOO dangerous. The one in my neighbor hood has wide 7' sidewalks on either side, set right against the curb. If I HAVE to get to somewhere this road leads I go ahead and ride on the sidewalk - VERY SLOWLY and keep watch like a hawk, it still gives me the creeps to be near it. If a pedestrian come my way (which few do as it is scary being that close to traffic) I get over for them, THEY have the right of way.

I talked with a cop once and he agreed even though it is not "officially" town policy, that if you must use this road to bike then he said to use the sidewalk. My local LBS is at the other end, if I don't back the bike on the car rack I will ride it on the sidewalk to get there.