Old 09-10-13, 01:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 1,538 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Can I request that all comments about what specific gearing someone else should need to climb be moved to the Road forum? There are "real" experts there who can tell you what is truly necessary for you to climb. In the mechanics forum I'd prefer if we could stick to actually helping people achieve what they feel they need (which the first part of this post actually does, but I couldn't help but comment on the last bit).
You can request it all you want, but it just won't happen.

In any case, even the most expert coach in the world, cannot tell anyone what gearing they need for a given climb or slope over the internet. Gear choice depends on the power to weight ratio, preferred cadence, and endurance. The gearing I need to climb a pass will be different than that of the pros and different that whoever might ask me what he needs.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.