View Single Post
Old 09-12-13, 07:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3153 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeluva
Thanks everyone for their valuable input.

I wanted to give you some more background information. I live in LA. So most riding will be on pavement with occasional trail-rides and riding on Laurel Canyon

I was considering a hybrid? Is that a good choice for me?

I really like the Trek bike, is that considered a hybrid?
The category of bike is not important. You'll have much more success by defining as closely as possible your needs, riding conditions, and ambitions, and then finding a bike that fits the job.

For example, LA may not demand fenders, while longer trips and more aggressive road riding might suggest a longer, lower cockpit. Maybe you won't ride at night and don't need lights, or will do so infrequently and can trade off a dynamo hub for a lighter wheel; maybe dealing with heat means you want nothing on your back and instead use a rack system to carry stuff; maybe you just want as light and fast as possible.

Start answering those questions, and you'll be on the way to finding the best bike out there for you.