Old 09-13-13, 11:15 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billew
There have been some changes lately Buzz These sharrows have been put in on Thames St. and Spring St. and they are in the right place unlike on Memorial Blvd. There are yellow diamond signs with bicycle image on most of the blind corners and big dips on Ocean Drive. I take the lane any time there is an accomodation allowing me to. Most of the time I take lane on all roads that have two lanes in the same direction the red position is the fastest pavement and don't let people BS you about why they riding in the sweet spot for speed. I ride on all major roads in Rhode Island including Rt. 114, 138, 2, 102 ect. I am not afraid of taking space I did it today on both 114 and 138 there is no other way to ride on a 35-45 mph road with no shoulder. I tend to stay off during rush hours except for the 1/2 mile between Union Street and Glen Road today I just took the lane in the middle and folks calmly passed me by changing lanes. I don't think that using "rusty or beginner bicyclists" as the basis for cycling rules is good practice, lowering the bar isn't realistic and promotes fear and ignorance. As you can see Newport is promoting VC riding.
The sharrows on Thames St. are pretty much right where I would be riding on that street anyway. I suppose you could interpret their placement as "promoting VC riding" I see it more as the right position to ride on that particular street as well as reminding drivers bikes might be present in the roadway.

Yeah, picking and choosing the right time of day to ride on 114 is a smart idea. Just curious when you say you " take the lane" on 114 are you riding in the RED position or the GREEN?