Old 09-14-13, 04:56 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Headset issue on new Pedalforce RS2 build

I hope I'm posting in the right place, but I need some wisdom.

I've just had my LBS build up a pedalforce RS2 frameset, and took my first ride today. I love the bike, but I have one issue to sort out first:

When I placed the order I noticed that the pedalforce website will let you spec *everything* on the bike, but they say nothing about a headset. I did a custom campy build, so I talked to the guy at pedalforce and told him I would (obviously) need a headset too.

The weird thing is that ALL my components came from Pedalforce's office in the states, all in brand new boxes (good stuff for a good price!). But the headset came in an unmarked plastic bag inside the Frameset box, which shipped straight from Taiwan.

So the headset had no markings and also lacked a top cap. On the mechanic's notes he states that he had trouble achieving ANY preload and wondered if this was even the right headset He then stated that he put in a new wedge and that "improved" the problem. I took only small note of this until the end of a 40 mile ride when I noticed a LOT of play in the headset. I checked it out myself, and while all the sealed bearings seem to be there (but I am NOT a headset expert), it's true that there is just NO way to get any load on the bearings when tightening the top cap. I've called my LBS, but they can't sort anything out until the middle of next week, and I was hoping to ride tomorrow. I also emailed pedalforce, but don't expect to hear back on the weekend.

The pedalforce website specs say that the RS2 frameset takes a "Campagnolo Hiddenset or FSA Orbit CE compatible integrated headset." So my current thought is that if I could just find an FSA Orbit CE headset locally tomorrow, I could install it and be on my way; the headsets are cheap, and if I'm reading correctly about installing integrated headsets, the install is straightforward (no special tools needed).

My questions:
1. Does the logic above make sense, or am I missing something?
2. Anyone have any advice on how to find bike shops that carry FSA? (Performance bike doesn't have the CE on their website, and none of the LBS's seem to carry FSA headsets?
3. Is it a bad idea to ride the bike with the current play in the headset?

thanks in advance!