View Single Post
Old 09-15-13, 09:15 PM
Lanovran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
What is the difference between a cross bike and the Trek FX series – specifically for rougher urban road riding, commuting, some dirt road riding? (I don’t need drops, and high bottom bracket aren’t requirements for commuting)?
The FX series (also called "fitness hybrids") are designed to be versatile for many uses: workout bike, city bike, commuter, etc. A cross bike will have drop bars, knobbier tires, usually cantilever or disc brakes, and a more road-bike style geometry. They're going to handle differently, with the cross bike being designed for racing and the FX designed for, let's say, "sporty comfort." The FX bikes are a little more upright in terms of posture, and are meant to be closer to road bikes in the speed and light weight categories (particularly the 7.5 and up) versus other hybrid bike styles. They're all rack- and fender-compatible as well, and the 7.2 and 7.4 do have disc brake options available if that's a factor. The FX in general is Trek's most popular hybrid line, and the best-selling bike family at the shop where I work.

That being said, if you think you might ride on trails, gravel, or rougher roads now and then, you might also want to check out Trek's Dual Sport line if you're interested in the FX, as it's a bit like a beefed-up FX with suspension and disc brakes.

Originally Posted by vanttila
Here's what my daddy just bought for himself, for commuting. It's one heckova steal: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...quila_xiii.htm
If you plan on doing "trails," take a look at cyclocross bikes. I think they're by far the best for... everything!
EDIT: This bike is similar to the Trek, except A LOT better for a lot less money. Also notice that it fits all different width tires for different seasons and purposes.
I wouldn't say that this is a fair comparison to the Trek FX. They're different bikes for different styles of riding and for different purposes. That being said, after looking over the specs, I have my doubts about whether that Aquila is "A LOT better" than the 7.4 FX. It's a bit of apples to oranges, but the frame build and ride quality, I feel, is where Treks really shine. It's very difficult to compare bikes through photos and component lists, however. Bottom line, as it often is: go to your local bike shops and see what's available, ride some bikes, ask some questions, and get a feel for what you want/need vs. what you don't.

*Full disclosure, same as mconlonx, I also work at a Trek store, so I too am sharing info on what I know.