daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
What is the difference between a cross bike and the Trek FX series – specifically for rougher urban road riding, commuting, some dirt road riding? (I don’t need drops, and high bottom bracket aren’t requirements for commuting)?
As far as Trek are concerned, they have CrossRip for entry-level Cyclocross. The interesting thing is that the CrossRip line is also listed under "Fitness" together with the FX series. That leads me to believe the CrossRip and FX are designed to handle similar riding conditions.

My 7.5 FX can handle anything including paved trails, rough roads (i.e. cracks, potholes and tree roots) and some off-road riding. I'd imagine the CrossRip can do that just as well if not better.

And the CrossRip bikes have fender and rack mounts.

Originally Posted by Lanovran
That being said, if you think you might ride on trails, gravel, or rougher roads now and then, you might also want to check out Trek's Dual Sport line if you're interested in the FX, as it's a bit like a beefed-up FX with suspension and disc brakes.

I rode a 8.4 FX a couple of days before deciding on my 7.5 FX. The roads I tested the DS on may not have been "rough enough," but I didn't feel that the front suspension and fatter tyres were of much benefit, especially at the expense of added weight. Just my 2 cents.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 09-15-13 at 09:25 PM.