Old 09-18-13, 06:32 AM
nindustrial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks gregjones, I have used those clamps before, but found them a bit slippery, especially on bumpy roads. Maybe I didn't install them right, but I found it hard to get them tight enough with the tube so they wouldn't slip on the tube. With the weight of the rack (and bags) and the bumpy roads, they 'shimmy' down until they hit the dropouts, and scratch up the frame a lot. This is why I was hoping for a frame with built-in threaded braze-ons.

Originally Posted by gregjones
I have used these scratch free. They work fine and were problem free. You can save bucks by getting P-clamps and hardware at HD or Lowe's but how much do you intend to save on a $6 kit?? I can't see it being worth the trouble.

A search search should turn up racks that have legs that go over the axles. I have never used or paid any attention to that style.

The bike I am using a rack on now had bosses at the top of the seat stays, but I am using this seat collar. On this bike, with the rack that I have, using this collar just made everything look more "sanitary".